Thursday, August 27, 2009

WHAT IS GOD ASKING YOU TO GIVE UP?

That particular Sunday morning began like any other; the same routine. My husband and I were getting ready for church while our kids ate their breakfast. I stood in front of my mirror ready to put on my jewelry for a final touch before heading out the door.

I'm not much of a girlie girl, choosing not to spend the money, or the time, and not having the fashion sense to get dolled up. But, my red cross necklace was an infrequent splurge and made me feel pretty. In front of my mirror with necklace in both hands ready to clasp behind my neck, I heard God speak to my heart and ask me to give away my necklace. I paused. I sighed. I looked at my reflection with one eye brow cocked wondering what God was doing. I returned the necklace to its place, told God we would talk about this later, and went to church without my special girlie adornment.

My conversation with God in the car sounded something like this: "God, it's my favorite necklace. And you know I don't have that many anyway. It's the only piece of jewelry that matches my red blouse."

I would like to say I immediately obeyed, but I argued with God for two weeks while he patiently waited for me to surrender. A missionary friend traveling to Peru requested jewelry donations as gifts for the Pastor's wives. So, I donated my favorite red cross necklace to an unknown Peruvian 'princess' whom God wanted to bless.

Another seemingly ordinary Sunday arrived. Again, I stood in front of my mirror adding final touches before leaving for church. With an earring in one hand and the back in the other, I started to put them into my ears...then God stopped me. It seems I conveniently forgot my prized necklace had matching earrings. Again, I reasoned with God, "Whoever, gets my necklace probably doesn't have pierced ears and won't be able to wear these."

This time, I surrendered more quickly, and with less of a fight, and donated the matching earrings to my missionary friend.

What is God asking you to give up? This time for me, it was a prided necklace. But, maybe He is asking you to give up an unhealthy friendship, or sugary sweets, or a television show. God is asking us to surrender someone or something because He loves us and wants to enrichen our lives, not because He wants to take things away. When we surrender, God will usher in something better.

I purchased another necklace, but this time I thanked God for letting me borrow it until He asks me to give it away.

Today, hear His voice, obey, then trust God.

God Bless,
Theresa

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I think I'm going to find out tomorrow! Meeting with a dietician...not sure if I'm ready for this or not. Great post as always.