Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A NEW THING

Isaiah 43:19
See, I am doing a new thing!

January ushers in second chances, new changes, and fresh starts. I love January as much as I love slipping into fresh, clean sheets or writing on a blank sheet of paper. Changes make some people uncomfortable, but I thrive on them. Others avoid new beginnings, but I welcome the adventure.
As January approaches, I begin cleaning and organizing closets, drawers, and desks. I seek God for his direction and plan as I make goals for a new year. January is an opportunity to continue in what is already blessed, prune what lacks fruit, and begin new things. I take a fresh sweep through my life, scoop up the crumbs into a dustpan, and start the new year with a shiny, clean floor, so to speak.
On the other hand, challenges accompany change, and frustration or discouragement can be a new-beginning’s shadow. Learning a new habit or skill is not easy. Often, we notice someone who has excelled in a particular field and take for granted they have always been on top. Without witnessing their rise to the top, perhaps we think they “arrived” at their specialty.
For example, drama school dismissed Lucille Ball for being too shy to put her best foot forward. Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. And, a teacher told Thomas Edison he was too stupid to learn anything. They achieved success through hard work, diligence, and practice. For these infamous people, as well as you and me, we experience days of physical and emotional triumph and days of discouragement in our quest to excel.
What is your new endeavor? What new thing is God doing in your life? My new adventure this year includes the role of Christian Authors Guild's WAVE Editor and a diet free of gluten, sugar, and yeast. In the eyes of society, I am not famous. However, we are famous in the eyes of Jesus, our Savior. He desires that we succeed and excel, with our eyes fixed on him, through hard work, practice, and perseverance. Embrace your second chances, new changes, and fresh starts.
God is doing a new thing!

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Welcome back!! Great post...I needed the reminder that this journey is sometimes just hard...hard work that is!

Anonymous said...

I found this awesome Christian company to help me finally get my Christian childrens books ready for publishing. Yes I am going the self publishing route. Too many secular publishing companies run away from the mere mention of the word "Christian" Check it out! www.gaganoser.com