Monday, March 2, 2009

WAITING ON A SEED


I love nature. The outdoors invigorates me. Digging in the garden, planting flowers or veggies, and general yard cleanup is great therapy for me. While reading a magazine to help prepare my yard for spring, I found a quote I adore. Henry David Thoreau penned these words: “Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders.”
Mr. Thoreau was speaking of a seed in nature. As he said, he has great faith in a seed. Why? Rarely does a seed planted in soil disappoint or surprise. Seeds sprout in the toughest of conditions; sometimes in spite of their circumstance. Look around your outside world for evidence. Notice trees growing in a rocky cliff or weeds thriving in your lawn despite heroic efforts to eliminate them. Also, seeds produce their own kind. No surprises. Plant a tomato seed and yield a tomato harvest. Plant a sunflower seed and expect a sunflower. God planned it this way (Gen. 1:11).
This quote has become a great faithbuilder to me in the last couple weeks. I have been consistently doing the right thing in particular for several weeks with no apparent good result. Have you ever been there? Can you feel my pain? I have been planting seeds of persistence, determination, and discipline but have yet to see the fruit of my labor. However, I can rest in the assurance God provides for those who do the right thing. God’s word says in 2 Thess. 3:13, “…do not become weary or lose heart in doing right (but continue in well doing without weakening).” If seeds in nature rarely disappoint, how much more must seeds of the Spirit reap a harvest. If you are like me and keep doing the right thing but haven’t seen improvement yet; keep the faith! Take heart, have courage and rejoice when breakthrough comes. We have planted our seed; therefore, expect wonders.
Blessings,
Theresa

1 comment:

Bridget said...

This is really good. Thanks for your encouragement. You really should submit these to P31 or somebody!!