Thursday, April 23, 2009

Peace is Priceless

A good friend called to share her anxieties about the current economic crisis personally affecting her family. I listened intently as she described the emotional and financial struggles they are encountering; listen is all I can do. I can not make her difficult situation disappear or help her in any tangible, dramatic way. Any words of advice or comfort I offer would be lacking also. Therefore, I listen. At the end of our conversation she said, “Just pray God will give me peace.” I responded, “Peace is priceless, isn’t it.”
She wasn’t asking me to intercede for God to deliver her family out from under their uncomfortable and painful situation. She requested something far more courageous and valuable; she desired peace.
Have you ever experienced the peace which exceeds understanding as described by Paul in Phillipians 4:6-8? In these verses, Paul tells us not to be anxious about anything as we present our prayers and petitions to God. Then, the peace which transcends all understanding will guard our hearts and minds as we live in Jesus.
I have witnessed God, in His Goodness, clothe people who are in the midst of crisis with unexplainable peace. I experienced this supernatural peace when my daughter, at two years old, became very ill. During the crisis, I acknowledged cause for concern considering her symptoms and blood tests, yet peace remained. I agreed there could be unhealthy future consequences following a persistent and long term high fever, yet peace remained. Well-meaning people offered the temptation to panic by focusing on and reminding me of the negative reports, yet peace remained. Peace ruled in our hearts and minds despite our circumstance.
Peace is also necessary every day in seemingly small matters, especially in relationships, where tempers or pride can flare. How do we acquire peace?
1. Peace is a gift offered by a right relationship with God through Jesus. In Psalm 23, David gives us a foreshadowing image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd who cares for our soul. Verse 2 of Psalm 23 says, “He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.” You must surrender your soul to Jesus as your Savior and trust in Him daily to receive peace.
2. We must also surrender our worries and burdens to Him leaving them in His hands. Often, we give a problem to Jesus then assume control of it all over again. Leave your burden with Him and trust He will work on your behalf.
3. We also must actively pursue peace. A rush of peace can come over us during troubled and painful times. However, on a daily basis we push towards peace and run away from temptations to become anxious. Replace thoughts of worry with the truth of God’s Word. Search His Word to find what God says about your situation.
I pray you will experience that peace which is priceless. If you do not know the One who gives the gift of peace, I pray you will hear and say yes when Jesus calls your name and eternally invites you into the Kingdom of God.
I encourage you this week to focus on actively pursuing peace using the 3 steps above. If you have stories of your own where God has graced you with peace in a crisis or during an ordinary day, please share those comments with us.
God bless you this week and peace be with you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Post! You are so right, peace is priceless. Being able to lay your head on the pillow and actually sleep especially during a trying season of life is truly a gift... Keep writing.... You have a lot of wisdom! Take Care, Maryanne Abbate