Sunday, June 7, 2009

Father not Forsaken

In your youth, did your father ever refuse you a night out with your friends? Did he deny you a slumber party or night at the movies or say no to summer camp because he wanted you to stay home for a change?

My parents weren’t like that, but I knew other parents who were. My mother and father both worked long hours to support our large family. As the youngest of eleven children and mostly unsupervised, I would often come and go as I pleased without asking permission or saying where I would be. In one regard, I loved the freedom, yet I yearned unknowingly for boundaries. In some small section of my soul, a lack of boundaries equated to a lack of love.

I recall as a young girl, one afternoon after school I phoned a friend to spend the night and she said she would call me back after asking her parents. When she returned my call, I remember vividly her response on the other end of the phone. She said, “I can’t come over, my dad wants me to stay home tonight.”

My heart sank and her words hit me in the gut. I wasn’t upset she could not come over; I was upset her parents wanted her to stay home and my parents never did - or so it seemed. Not knowing how it feels to be wanted, I walked outside pouting with my head hung low, kicked the gravel beneath my feet and grumbled to myself, “I wish my parents wanted me to stay home.”

As an adult with a different perspective, I know my parents loved me. They were a hard-working duo with a lot on their plate and doing their best to raise eleven children. However, as a young girl growing up, their lack of involvement in my life led me to habitual bad judgment with poor choices.

Today, as a mom myself, I know how fragile parenting can be. We are all imperfect parents relying on God and his wisdom daily to help our children eventually become healthy, responsible God-fearing men and women of God.

God’s Word says in Psalm 27:10, “Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me.” God is our Father and the only perfect parent. He will catch us when our parents fail and He will catch our children when we fail.

When was the last time you told your child you love them, gave them a big hug and let them know you are proud of them? When was the last time you had a meaningful conversation with your child? Do you know their friends or their friend’s parents? When was the last time you spent quality time having fun with your kids?

This week, I encourage you to become re-acquainted with your children. Tell them to stay home for a change because you want to spend time with them. They may not appreciate it today, next month, or the next time you tell them no. But, their heart will expand and your relationship will too.

God Bless,
Theresa

3 comments:

Bridget said...

This is beautiful! I'm beginning to feel the pangs of my children going in different directions and sorting through the balance of it all. The fine line of parenting or being selfish.....grace, grace, grace.

Theresa Anderson said...

Thank you Bridget for visiting my blog and thank you for the comment.

Unknown said...

Awesome. Thanks for the reminder that the girls will appreciate it someday that I make them stay home and spend time alone with our family. I often feel guilty and wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I've enjoyed reading your old posts. Nice!
Ruth