Tuesday, December 9, 2008

OpportuniTEA

I went to my daughter's preschool today for a mother's holiday tea. It was a social event so the mom's could relax and enjoy themselves and get to know other mom's. The preschool provided two speakers for the event both of which were mother's themselves. As I listened to these ladies, I was intrigued not by their message although their messages were wonderful and grounded in scripture. I was sparked by the message behind the message. That behind-the-scenes prayer, preparation and practice of the message. Both ladies sought the Lord and His heart for what to share and they delivered what was purposed for them to say. Did they wonder if they were sharing their heart or the Lord's? Maybe. Did they have trouble hearing what the Lord wanted them to share? Maybe. Were they anxious that perhaps what they had practiced to speak would be full of errors or omissions? Maybe.
But they said yes to the invitation to speak. In a step of faith, they said yes. As I watched and listened to our two speakers today, I marveled that all God wants is for us to say yes. Once we surrender and say yes, He will provide. Abraham said yes and God provided a sacrifice for the altar. Mary said yes and God provided a Savior. Jeremiah said yes and God filled his mouth with words.
As an aspiring writer and speaker, I think we have a tendency to stress about the part of the journey after we say yes. We might get anxious about what does He want me to say and how does He want me to say it. However, once we say yes our job is done, so-to-speak. Not in a literal sense but once we accept an invitation to share His promises, God will then provide the details. God provides the opportunity, we accept the invitation and He makes a deposit into our spirits. Our job is to unwrap the gift and share it with others.
The mothers' speaking today said yes to the opportunity; they said yes to the invitation then they shared their gift straight from the heart of God. God blessed the speakers today so they could be a blessing and God allowed me to 'see' that unfold. That revelation was not only comforting to me as I anticipate my own speaking opportunities, but it also gave me confidence so when I say yes to God I know He provides the details. The God of Abraham, Mary, and Jeremiah is also my God. He is Jehovah-Jireh the Lord who provides!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I have been a little discouraged about the whole speaking/writing thing lately and this really helped me focus.
Thank you for saying Yes!